Saturday, November 23, 2013

DUH DUH DUH DIVERSITY!

SO GUESS WHAT I WENT TO TODAY EVERYONE?! DIVERSITY DAY!!! It was BY FAR one of the BEST days of the year at USU so far! This event really hits close to home for me, so I couldn't resist, but to let you know all about it. Diversity Day happens every Fall semester at Utah State; it is an all-day event that invites multicultural students to visit campus and participate in motivational workshops, network with students, enjoy entertainment, and recognize the importance of obtaining a higher education. This year we had about 270 students attend and we had such a great turnout!
Eunice and Julia rockin' their Polynesian number during entertainment !
Fiefia's doing what they do best! 

My group leader was Anapesi and we were over the orange group! We had students from all over Utah and Idaho that were present, which was awesome! Not to mention that I reunited with my little sister Gissell, and I was so lucky to have her in my group! There's no doubt we showed these students what the life of an Aggie is all about and all of the great things they can accomplish here. But for real tho, group orange was where it was at all day!
My group leader Anapesi!

Duckface with my little sis at Diversity Day!
For many multicultural students, this is a very impactful event to come to. Many times students like us are doubted, judged, or have to overcome difficult circumstances to continue our education in college. Diversity Day gives life changing opportunities to students who interview and qualify for the Educational Opportunity Scholarship. It is such an incredible experience to witness these amazing moments of students receiving this award. We all couldn't help, but to shred a tear or two seeing the reactions of the scholarship recipients when they got  their names called to step up on stage. For me, being an Educational Opportunity Scholar made such a huge difference not only in my life, but in my family's. As a first generation college student, my goal was and continues to be to pursue my dreams of obtaining a four-year degree, be a role model to my younger sisters, and providing a better life for myself and my family.
USU Recruiters announcing Educational Opportunity Scholarship recipients

I took so much today from helping with Diversity Day this year and I'm so grateful to be able to participate in special events like this. This goes to show that we are all one happy Aggie family here at Utah State University, and we are all here to pursue one goal, attain a higher education. Thank you to everyone who came, and we look forward to seeing some future Aggies! #EXPANDYOURWORLD
DIVERSITY IS UNITY 

PEACE.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment